We are pleased to announce that we are now associate members of BRITISH AGGREGATES ASSOCIATION
We look forward to working alongside the team at BAA, and offering our support when needed.
Formed in 1999, the BAA is now firmly established as the voice of the UK’s independent SME quarry operators. The BAA is run on a daily basis by people experienced in all aspects of the minerals industry. The association provides essential support and advice in all health and safety, planning, technical and regulatory issues; whilst ensuring that the voice of the independent sector is heard at all levels of the UK administrations.
Since its formation BAA has developed extensive contacts within the UK Government and devolved administrations, the Civil Service and in Europe.
We are continually engaged in correspondence and meetings with HM Treasury, HM Customs, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), Office of Fair Trading (OFT), Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Environment Agency (EA) and SEPA, Scottish Government and Welsh Assembly to ensure that the views of our members are properly represented on all relevant issues including Planning, the Environment, Legislation, Health & Safety, Road Transport, Competition and SME Support.
Government has welcomed our involvement, recognising that the views and needs of smaller independent UK-owned companies have not always been taken into account when forming new legislation.
- BAA supports the frontline quarry industry along with its essential suppliers and specialist consultants.
- BAA promotes the use of local supply companies where possible.
- BAA defends its members against illegal cartels which seek to restrict competitively priced supplies or open access to the market.
- BAA provides responses to Government consultation papers on matters that affect our industry..
- BAA has representatives on all 9 Aggregate Working Parties (AWPS) in England, and the two RAWPS in Wales.
- BAA is a member of the Quarries Joint National Advisory Committee (QNJAC) on Health and Safety issues in conjunction with the HSE; and the Minerals Products Qualifications Council (MPQC) which is the industry training and awarding body. We also have representation on the HSE/industry/IQ/QNJAC Strategic Forum 2019 Entrapment Campaign.
- BAA is a member of the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)and sits on the influential CBI Minerals Committee and the UK Minerals Forum (UKMF).
- BAA is a member of the Construction Products Association (CPA) an influential umbrella organisation briefing UK authorities on construction policy; and the Scottish Council for Development and Industry.
- BAA has a Restoration Guarantee Fund to provide an effective industry bond to meet the requirements of planning authorities